Sunday, September 13, 2020

Mask review (2 of ?) Radical Fencing's active dome sports mask

Radical Fencing is always at the forefront of innovative, stylish fencing gear, so it makes sense they'd be one of the first vendors to offer a mask. Sure enough, their mask offers high-tech antimicrobial fabric and secure straps. But how does it stand up in action?

White oval fencing mask on gridded background, approximately 6 inches wide by 5 inches high, with thin elastic straps
same mask, same dimensions, but in black




Specs:

Filter pocket: yes, carbon filters included

Ear loops or ties: 2 elastic bands that go around the head, one adjustable

Nose wire: not at the time I ordered, though it's now an option

Sizes: one size

Fashionable? in basic black and white (as well as special colors to-order) it goes with just about anything. In my opinion, the white one looks like an old-fashioned "bullet bra" cup when worn with anything other than a fencing uniform, though!

Fit: the stiffer, rounded shape stands away from the face so it's not going to stick to your mouth and nose. The straps are more secure and the adjustable side is a nice touch. I have a small head and short hair so I couldn't tighten them enough to fit me but you may not have this problem. I will likely replace them with something tighter and wider, as the elastic is very narrow.

How is it on the strip?

I wore this with one of the filters that came with it and did fifty lunges. It didn't stick to my mouth when breathing, which was nice, and though thick it's not bulky or hot. As mentioned above the elastic was too long for me so I couldn't get as tight a seal as I wanted. Removing my fencing mask pulled Radical's mask out of place. The fabric boasts water resistance, but I don't sweat much so this feature ended up untested. Like the Adidas (and I suspect, all other masks) it cuts off your low line periphery.

Verdict:

Pro: dense but lightweight, comfortably "cups" your face without sticking to it, comes with its own filters.

Con: elastic may be too long for some wearers, nose wire costs extra

[Comments from Badger: Fashion-wise, the black version is VERY Darth Vader. Complete with sound effects, as with the filter in place, I find my breathing is somewhat obstructed. Because mask stands away from the face, it also blocks my downward field of view more than lighter, flatter masks. Like Allison, I find that the straps are too long, even at their shortest setting, but I've dealt with that by making a small knot in the strap.]

[Badger: Also, it's a little big on me.]  

Have you tried the Radical Fencing mask or other sport/fencing masks on the strip? We'd love to hear your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment